Home / GitHub Page

Feature request: Inline PDF

I would like to propose the ‘inline PDF’ feature.

When using Evernote, I often ‘scan’ documents into PDF to archive them digitally. When using their GUI based applications, it would show my scanned document inline.

Given:

• There is only one attachment
  • The markdown is empty except the link to this attachment
  • The attachment is of type application/pdf (or .pdf)

Then:

• In rendered view, show the PDF instead of the rendered markdown.
5 Likes

There is a PDF viewer for React Native so that should be possible - https://github.com/wonday/react-native-pdf

1 Like

I also use Evernote like a digital filing cabinet, and scan to PDFs extensively. I would love to see this feature implemented!

1 Like

I am also highly interested in inline PDF support. Having used Evernote with loads of scanned PDFs this would be an enormous step ahead!
Although the links work well in both desktop app and mobile app, it would be great to at least have the first page rendered and open the PDF externally when clicked.

I registered to cast another 2 cents; this feature would be invaluable for me.

If Joplin could show PDFs in-line like Evernote does, I would be able to switch everything across - that’s the only thing holding me back because I scan a lot of documents into Evernote.

There’s a react-pdf package that we could use. But I see 3 issues with this:

1. react-native does not allow to use external js, which means it has to be injected
  2. support for non-latin characters is an extra step (I do not know how much resources this requires)
  3. the pdf has to be copied to a temporary location, which might be an issue on mobile

But hey, PRs are welcome! :slight_smile: